pontins blackpool

Moderator: deelieta

Postby Joker » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:20 am

Dont panic i haven't forgotten this weeks up date.
I went on thursday Shad did his usual good job of pulling me up the dune, where we were greated with a sand blasting, It was so bad keepong your eyes open was a problem, from what I did get to see, not much has changed from last week. My plan was to try again to day.
As some of you know I'm do security and last night was in our office on site which is a 30foot static caravan. The wind was getting up a bit. Around 1:30 the van is hit by a strong gust lifting the thing what felt like 5 feet in the air on landing we were a good 6 foot down wind. I know what people mean when they say it happens in slow motion.
One minute i'm thinking it's getting a bit wild outside the next you have half the contents of the office flying past you.

It dosent show on the picture but the landing is about 4foot from a 15 foot drop.
Once the wind dropped arund lunch time I risked going to survey the damage inside, looks like a bombs gone off.

Hope this posts ok as i'm using my mobile as the office pc is one of the casualties of last night.
As for Shad the dog, we should rename him Lucky Mutt who was in the back room in his bed, insted of his usual spot by the door where the microwave landed.

Joker and Lucky Mutt
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pontins Blackpool

Postby twocv » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:10 am

A very sad sight, and an end to some fond memories from the 1980s, when we, the children from the family, were "invited" to stay with my Grandma at Pontins Blackpool.

In term of some of the questions re the buildings....

From my memory, the large White Building to the far left (North) of the site, was the indoor pool.

The "blue-framed" building was the main entertainment complex. When I stayed there, the front area was called the Orangery or something, and was like a coffee-bar conservatory - just behind that was an Arcade - with lots of then new arcade games such as "Gorf", Behind that, was the main night-spot with stage and bars, where the blue-coats did their shows - although I recall there being a open table area as well. Perhaps my childhood memory is fading...

I also recall there being a sizeable theatre towards the front of the site, on the northerly side, which was next to an adventure playground (which was brand new when I first went). I saw Bob Monkhouse and Bernard Manning there, as well as lots of other slightly less well known entertainers. I guess it must have been somewhere around 1986 when I last went.

The building left standing on its metal legs while being demolished towards the middle of the site was the main buffet restaurant. I'm sure this was refurbished or redeveloped during the early 1980s - as I remember it being "new" on one of our visits.

There was a pedal-boat lake somewhere to the north of this for many years, where I used to pedal about with my cousins for hours. My grandma always tried to get a chalet near this lake - and then, one year, it was gone!

Anyway, I hope these memories spark a few others, and perhaps add to the knowledge base that this forum will collect about this site going forward. Its good to retain this collective memory for the future...

Very sad to see the camp go!
twocv
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Postby Joker » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:26 pm

Hi Twocv welcome to the forum and thanks for your memories.

After yesterdays news of the administrators being brought in we will probably be seeing more camps going this way.

Anyway better late than never, this weeks update.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pushbutton » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Wow that's quite a story about the caravan. Glad you and "lucky Mutt" are both ok though!
You get into the groove and do the Push Button Click. YEAH!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby pushbutton » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Wot no photos this week?
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby Joker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:46 pm

I've had one of them weeks.

I have had to empty the office completely as the lads who will be trying to re-site it think it could fall apart when they drag it out. Now being the hoarder I am that took the best part of two nights, with me having to fined somewhere to store it all. My lounge if full of boxes, monitors and crap (that might come in one day) even my car is full. I have even had to ship Shad out to my mothers as when both my dogs are left overnight they bark all night.

Plus the office PC went flying when the office went, still not had chance to see if its survived or not.

I'm at mothers for Sunday lunch so I'll nip up weather permitting.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pushbutton » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:07 am

Sorry to hear that Joker. Was there much from the office worth hoarding?
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby Joker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:25 am

You don't realise just how much junk and crap you have collected till you have to shift it.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pushbutton » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:52 am

True enough!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby Joker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Even my Butlins stuff finds it's way to the office. Books postcards even the office clock is from one of the hotels.

Two more casualties of the wind. Rocky's book has got a little dog eared and The other months Magazine with Knobbly-Knee (Mick) ended under the fridge where it got defrosted on, so I need to find another one.

This weeks Pontins Demolition Photos will be up later.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Joker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:48 pm

Better late than never.

Not the best pictures as it was 7.30 this morning and not fully light.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Joker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:55 am

This weeks update on time for a change.

Although going early morning is not the best idea, the weather said snow and Blackpool gets sunshine.

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pushbutton » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:39 pm

No update this week Joker?
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Postby Joker » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:44 pm

Tomorrow weather permitting!!!

It's alright for you in shorts and t-shirt but here its sleeting and naffin freezing !!!! :lol:

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pushbutton » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:37 am

Just be grateful you're not here in this scorching heat!

Yesterday I left the shops, got in my car, nearly passed out due to the heat, touched my steering wheel with the palm of my left hand for about a second and ended up with a burnt hand!

I had to just go back in the shopping mall where it was air-conditioned and stay there 2 hours till the car cooled down a bit. I'd have been very glad of some snow yesterday I can tell you.

Having said that, it's not too bad today!
pushbutton
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

PreviousNext

Return to Pontins