Early Morning wake-up songs (played over the tannoy system)

Looking for Information about Butlins.
From when did the first camp open to whos on next week !!!

Moderator: deelieta

Early Morning wake-up songs (played over the tannoy system)

Postby roddy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:09 am

As a small boy I went to Butlins (Scarborough) with my family and had a spiffing time! Every morning over the tannoy, came a wake-up song that went something like:
Wake up early in the morning, with a big, big smile and a good,'Good Morning'... then I'm not sure whether we invented this bit... 'How can you sleep on, to the sound of the Butlin's song'. I would so love to get a recording of this song. I still remember the tune but the arrangement of it would be so evocative of that lovely holiday, spent on the 'Peter Pan' railway, having 'second lunch, riding pedal bikes driven by bottom power etc. Do let me know where I might get hold of it.
roddytheroadscout
roddy
Day Visitor
Day Visitor

Re: Early Morning wake-up songs (played over the tannoy syst

Postby rocky mason » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:20 pm

roddy wrote:As a small boy I went to Butlins (Scarborough) with my family and had a spiffing time! Every morning over the tannoy, came a wake-up song that went something like:
Wake up early in the morning, with a big, big smile and a good,'Good Morning'... then I'm not sure whether we invented this bit... 'How can you sleep on, to the sound of the Butlin's song'. I would so love to get a recording of this song. I still remember the tune but the arrangement of it would be so evocative of that lovely holiday, spent on the 'Peter Pan' railway, having 'second lunch, riding pedal bikes driven by bottom power etc. Do let me know where I might get hold of it.
Hi Roddy, the longest ever Good Morning tune played over Radio Butlin, I have always been informed, was Tolchard Evans, "Singing Piano". I do remember listening to it for a number of years. In my view it was an ideal piece of music for that purpose,it was very melodic and gentle to the ears; soothing and easy to listen too. I am afraid Roddy that we are going back so many years that it's not going to be easy, however, my friend George Bradley who was Musical director for Butlins for many years, advises that you go into Google and enter "Musical Archives". He informs me that he has done this successfully for many years! If I had the time to spare I would try to help you a bit more. However, good luck. Rocky Mason
rocky mason
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby Joker » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:42 pm

Singing Piano seems to be one of the most requested tune in our inbox.

Some time ago some original pencil drawings by Bryan De Grineau.
were done for an Illustrated London News article about Butlins.
These were listed on eBay. Some of which I have had the honour of holding in the Butlin Archive.
Anyway I put a page together to show the images listed on eBay and the backing music is an extract of Singing Piano. Enjoy !!

http://www.a-mc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/drawings.html

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Joker » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:03 pm

I now have the honour of owning the original article from the 1946 copy of the Illustrated London News.
The pictures in the link above don't do justice to the amount of work Mr De Grineau put in to the drawings. I'll have to get the scanner cranked up !

Joker
Joker
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Any Questions