SKEGNESS CONCERT BAR

Looking for Information about Butlins.
From when did the first camp open to whos on next week !!!

Moderator: deelieta

SKEGNESS CONCERT BAR

Postby Basilbrush » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:18 pm

I was intrigued by the postcard view of the "Concert Bar" at Skegness, as this is not a bar I was familiar with during my 1973 and '74 seasons. However, I do have vague recollections of our end-of-season party being held in a derelict bar, which was located in the Gaiety Theatre. As you walked in through the main doors into the foyer, it was on your immediate left. Can anyone confirm that this was indeed the Concert Bar?
HAPPY DAYS!
"A.J"
Redcoat Skegness 1973-74.
Butlins Blackpool 1974
Basilbrush
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby SkegRed » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:37 am

A.J,(Basilbrush)
l think l'm right in saying that the last time the Bar in the Gaiety was used as a Bar was in 1954 when it was the "BUTLIN THEATRE" open to the paying Public with West End shows it was closed the year after 1955 to be used by Campers only,
l never saw that bar used again as a bar again after 1954 in the time l was there in 1954-56 & 1961-3
Always used as a Store Room,and the Cafe for Campers to leave their luggage
Even the Cafe used to be open(Right hand side Foyer) in the "BUTLIN Theatre" days.

Just out of interest did the Redcoats or Staff who worked in the Gaiety notice the water marks in the Foyer on all those Large Mirrors it was about 4 ft high and the marks were still there till the Gaiety closed
They were of course caused when the sea come over the top in 1953

skegred Andy
SkegRed
Ex-Redcoat
Ex-Redcoat

Postby minehead forever » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:54 pm

i remember the bar was in use for the last 2 or 3 seasons before the building was ripped down.the bar had re opened after a mini revamp in the foyer.can't unfortunately remember what it was called but would of been a different name to what it was originally.
minehead forever
Silver Premier Club
Silver Premier Club

Return to Any Questions